Blavity - April 22, 2020

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell said she will not be bullied into reopening the city but rather will look to the data to decide. Last week, she extended the city's stay-at-home order through mid-May.

“The data will drive us and not a specific date,” she said during a press conference on Monday reports NOLA.com.

Cantrell's statement comes after a letter from four business owners urging for the city to reopen by May 1 was published in a local newspaper. The authors said the mayor’s recommendation to not hold events until 2021 was "deeply unsustainable” and her decision will "irreparably damage if not destroy our city's culturally important French Quarter — our tourist industry, and most businesses in general."

Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards said the state should be able to begin to reopen soon and mandated a stay-at-home order until April 30, reports WDSU. Cantrell's order was extended until May 15. 

She asked that people come to her directly if they have concerns.

"A way to communicate is not through the media, it's directly, and I welcome that," Cantrell said according to WWL. "I know that I'm more than accessible and more than a team player as it relates to my partners, and that means thinking regionally."

... “To the citizens of the city of New Orleans, please know that I will and have always continued to put the health of the people first. They are the top priority and I will always tell you straight,” the city's first female mayor said. “And not only that but you can be reassured that I will not be bullied in making decisions that are the best and are in the best interest of the citizens of New Orleans." ...
See full report at Blavity