Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez is the most important Progressive/leftist voice in Washington this side of Bernie Sanders. Since her election she's hit the ground running, she's outspoken, she's on message, and she's challenging the establishment system and the environment it created.
We the people that stand with her need to play our part. She won't be perfect, so we shouldn't expect 100% fidelity. We have to give her the room to operate without letting her get lost in the muck of Washington's swamp. We have to be beacons for her, constantly reminding her why she was elected, why what she stands for is so important, to remember her policy stances and FIGHT for them.
There are nefarious forces that are strategizing against her and her newly elected Progressive coalition as we speak. They'll use every weapon they have to separate her from us. Ego, money, a variety of smears. All of the corporate establishment's bag of tricks.
We the people can be corrupted too. If we allow ourselves to descend into a cult of personality around Ms. Ocasio-Cortez, instead of seeing her as a representative of our values. It is up to us to keep her honest, as honest as one can be in Washington D.C.
Her and the Progressive coalition she was elected with are as dependent on us to stay engaged and watchful, as we are on them to be loyal to the values they were elected to uphold.
Commentary on this article from Axios
"Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, star of House Dems' freshman class, is using her social-media mastery and her fearless organizing instinct to give a more activist face to the new Congress even before she's sworn in.
The big picture: Very unusually for a first-year lawmaker, let alone a victor who isn't even in office yet, Ocasio-Cortez has repeatedly driven news since the midterms, including these tweets yesterday from lawmakers' freshman orientation at Harvard Kennedy School's Institute of Politics:
- "When I said that our organizing doesn’t end with an election, I meant it."
- "Our 'bipartisan' Congressional orientation is cohosted by a corporate lobbyist group. Other members have quietly expressed to me their concern that this wasn’t told to us in advance. Lobbyists are here. Goldman Sachs is here. Where‘s labor? Activists? Frontline community leaders?"
She's also on track to be the most famous House Democrat after Speaker-designate Pelosi.
- Fun fact: Ocasio-Cortez has as many Twitter followers as the other incoming 60 Democratic freshman House members combined, according to data from Mehlman Castagnetti Rosen & Thomas.
But scrutiny will come with that high profile ... The WashPost's "Fact Checker" gave her four Pinocchios this week under the headline, "Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s $21 trillion mistake."
- In a tweet, she had suggested applying "$21T in Pentagon accounting errors" to Medicare for All. She had cited the liberal magazine The Nation.
- But The Post said that is "not one big pot of dormant money collecting dust somewhere. It’s the sum of all transactions — both inflows and outflows — for which the Defense Department did not have adequate documentation."
Be smart: Look for Pelosi to give a ton of space to her vocal, activist freshmen — as long as she doesn't think they're hurting overall caucus efforts, or doing anything that could make it harder to keep the majority."